Computers are a very important part of many people’s lives and definitely an extremely vital tool in many offices, retail businesses, manufacturing facilities and government agencies. Research facilities could not function without computers to assist in modeling and computations.
Furthermore, they have become an important part of life in homes across the globe. Schools, churches and non-profit organizations also utilize this amazing piece of technology. From homework to financial records, these machines help to organize, generate and store all kinds of documents.
In addition, the computer has become a useful tool in the arts and entertainment arena. From the musician to the artist, computers are used to enhance productivity. Even the movie industry uses the computer to generate CGI sequences for incredible film action.
A scan of the documents folder on any computer might surprise the user. The sheer number of user generated data boggles the mind. Because computers often replace the bulky space of filing cabinets and shelves, the massive amount of data is hidden from view. However, lost computer data can be just as devastating as stolen or destroyed paper documents.
The computer equivalent of paper shredding is file deletion. And just like its physical cousin, files can be accidentally deleted. While accidentally shredded paper documents leave no other course of action than re-creation, it may be possible to
• Shared computers in an office that are not managed properly can lead to data loss.
• Miscommunication of the relevance of certain data contributes to deletion of important files.
• Human error, often the result of long working hours and fatigue, is a large contributor to data loss.
• Unfamiliarity with the equipment and its operation can be a factor.
• Although we may not want to admit it, allowing children to play on computers that contain important document can be dangerous. Giving them their own user account and keeping important documents password protected is a wise choice.
While data loss is almost a given, there are procedures to
Of course, proper computer maintenance will also assist in smooth operation continued use. PC and Mac defrag operations, running up-to-date anti-virus protection and installing critical updates are all important for computer health.